PHLEBO LYMPHEDEMA / CHRONIC VENOUS INSUFFICIENCY
Lymphedema manifests as a chronic swelling that can affect various areas of the body, such as the arms, legs, head/neck, trunk, pelvis, and breast, following cancer treatment (known as secondary lymphedema). Additionally, lymphedema can also occur from adolescence or birth (referred to as primary lymphedema). In cases where chronic venous insufficiency (CVI) progresses into lymphedema, it is termed phlebolymphedema.
To address your specific area of swelling, our team of Certified Lymphedema Therapists (CLTs) possesses specialized training. While lymphedema has no cure and may progress, it is crucial to seek treatment as early as possible.
Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) serves as the gold standard for lymphedema treatment and comprises two phases. Phase I, known as the intensive phase, focuses on rapidly reducing swelling, and recommended treatment attendance 4-5 days per week. Phase II, the maintenance phase, involves employing the techniques learned in Phase I to sustain the size of your limbs. Both phases encompass the following components:
1. Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD): This technique employs tissue stretch massage to facilitate fluid movement within the affected areas.
2. Compression: In the intensive phase, compression bandaging is utilized to expedite the reduction of limb swelling. In the maintenance phase, compression garments are worn to maintain limb size.
3. Skin Care: Lymphedema can lead to skin breakdown and dryness, increasing the risk of infection. Utilizing low pHlow-pH lotion and soap is essential to decrease the likelihood of cellulitis.
4. Exercise: The movement of your muscles acts as a pump for your lymphatic system. Regular exercise is crucial to facilitate the proper movement of swelling to its intended destination.
5. Education on Self-Care: Living with lymphedema can present challenges. Our therapists provide you with the necessary tools and knowledge to effectively manage this lifelong condition in a manner that best suits your individual needs.
By offering comprehensive lymphedema therapy, we strive to enhance your quality of life and equip you with the means to effectively navigate this condition.